E-Bike Road Safety
E-Bikes and E-Scooters are power-assisted bicycles, and riders must follow the rules of the road outlined for cyclists as per the MTO.
- NEVER RIDE ON SIDEWALKS, PEDESTRIAN PATHS, OR THROUGH CROSSWALKS! If you feel uncomfortable riding on a particular road, choose an alternate route.
- ALWAYS obey all traffic signs and lights!
- Keep to the right when riding in traffic. Remember that slower traffic must give way to faster traffic when safe and practical to do so.
- Keep one meter of space between you and the curb to avoid curbside hazards.
- Always maintain a safe following distance between yourself and other motorists. A good rule of thumb is one meter.
- Do not weave in and out of parked cars, ride in a straight line and leave one meter of space between you and the parked cars.
- When changing lanes, remember that the vehicles in the other lane have the right of way. You must wait until there is a space to move into that lane. ALWAYS shoulder check and signal your intention to change lanes. Remember that when the sun is shinning on your E-Bike’s signal lights, they may be less visible to other motorists
- When making a right hand turn, always turn from the right hand curbside to the right hand curbside. Remember that pedestrians have the right of way, and you must yield to them.